Welcome to the 2017 Holiday Season, friends. What a joy it is to celebrate Jesus! We loved putting together our Advent Resources list last year, so we're making it a DWITW tradition and sharing some new finds for 2017.
We know that not everyone celebrates Advent and that there are a huge range of Christmas traditions among Christians, so please remember: this post is not meant to be an "Advent To Do" list. It would be impossible to meaningfully engage in all of these resources at once. Our goal is to connect you with the resources that are already out there and put them all in one place for easy access. (We've done all the Googling for you!)
Note: All of the resources we shared last year are excellent and many are still available, so go check those out in last year's post. This post will focus on what's new (or new-to-us) for 2017.
Devotional Plans and Books
- She Reads Truth 2017 Advent Collection (includes devotionals for women, men and kids' activities)
- 2017 Advent Devotional by All Good Things Collective
- He Is: An Advent Devotional by Well Watered Women
- For All: Sacred Holidays 2017 Advent Devotionals (includes devotional for women, men, teen girls and family- and there's an opportunity to join an online small group!)
- The One True Gift by Tim Chester
- Come Let Us Adore Him by Paul Tripp
- Loving My Actual Christmas by Alexandra Kuykendall
- Hallelujah- A Journey Through Advent with Handel's Messiah from Circe Institute
- desiringGod Advent resources (free)
- IF:Gathering Advent Study -- "Emmanuel: Sixteen Encounters with Jesus"
- The Peace Project by Hillsong Worship
- These Christmas Lights by Matt Redman
- It's Finally Christmas by Casting Crowns
- Waiting For the Dawn by Salt of the Sound
- The Light Came Down by Josh Garrels
- Future of Forestry's Advent EPs
- Winter Snow by Audrey Assad
- Christmas by Bryan and Katie Torwalt
- Into the Silent Night by For King and Country
- A Home and A Hunger by Caroline Cobb (this is not technically a Christmas album, but there's a track called "Emmanuel (Every Promise Yes in Him)" and it's my Advent anthem this year!)
This is just the tip of the iceberg for family resources! Check last year's post for more.
- The Wonder of the Greatest Gift by Ann Voskamp (This is a new edition to her "Greatest Gift" line of Advent resources that is more suitable for young kids than Unwrapping the Greatest Gift. This one includes a pop-up Jesse Tree with tiny ornaments and a quick, family-friendly devotional)
- Cradle to Cross Advent Candle Wreaths
- Advent Catechism by Story Catechism (available in print or digital)
- Itty Bitty Plush Nativity (a super-soft nativity option for engaging even the littlest babes)
- Advent Story Cards from Crew + Co (these partner with the Jesus Storybook Bible!)
- The 25 Days of Christ ornament kits by New Tradition Crafts (finished or unfinished)
- "Christmas: the Whole Story of the God who Loves"
Children's Books and Music
Find more of our favorite children's books in last year's post.
- The Littlest Watchman by Scott James (has a partnering Advent Calendar, too!)
- Seeds of Christmas by Seeds Family Worship
- Hidden In My Heart Scripture Lullabies (especially the first few tracks of Volume 3: A Lullaby Journey Through the Life of Jesus)
Advent Calendar Cards
Now, tell us what we've missed! What traditions do you have during the Advent season? Share with us in the comments below!
Natalie Herr is the Team Lead for Dayton Women in the Word. She is a servant of God, a wife, and a mom of four. She loves teaching and equipping women with God's Word.